Home > About us > Our history

Our history

1990
1999
2011
2012
1907
1937
1971
1981
1982
1996
1999
2002
2003
2004
2006
2011
2014
2016
2017
1990

JDA commenced business in 1990 as specialist recruiters in the mining, engineering and construction industries. When the Bougainville Copper operation was closed by revolution, the owners of the mine, CRA, approached John Davidson for help. He developed a private database of former CRA employees who could quickly be contacted and mobilised to re-open the mine and to provide assistance with outplacement.

1999

In 1999 JDA consolidated the organisation into 3 main offices – Australia, Indonesia and Papua New Guinea. The central administrative and corporate functions operated from the Brisbane Australia office, including all payroll and contract administration for JDA contractors.

2011

2011 saw the establishment of two new offices, JDA Mongolia and JDA Africa. Economic growth within these areas saw demand for local labour increase, particularly within the mining industry. Having additional offices allowed JDA to provide in-country nationals as well as expatriates to surrounding regions quickly and effectively. JDA is now recognised for its commitment to up-skilling the local workforce and ethical trading practice.

2012

In May 2012 JDA increased its global footprint in the recruitment sector through its merger with the Applus+ Velosi Group.

Applus+ Velosi is a recognised leader in the provision of inspection, quality assurance, certification and testing services to the oil and gas sector. The merger provided JDA with exciting new opportunities to reinforce its core business strengths and provide innovative workplace management solutions in diverse locations.
1907
The General Laboratory for Testing and Research (Laboratori General d’Assaigs i Investigacions, LGAI) is established in Barcelona as a public testing and research entity.
 
1937
Marine welding engineer, Lambertus van Ouwerkerk, founded his firm, the non-destructive testing (NDT) specialist RTD, in 1937. He built a successful business by realizing that X-ray inspection techniques could be utilized in order to check welds on ship hulls.
 
Van Ouwerkerk believed that NDT would play a crucial role in the use of welding techniques as a replacement for traditional riveting in steel construction.
1971
IDIADA starts out as the “Institute for Applied Automotive Research” at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia's Higher Engineering School.
 
1981
Norcontrol was born, to respond to a need of the Unión Fenosa group, in issues related to maintenance and the environment. It was created, therefore, as a subsidiary of Unión Fenosa.
 
1982
VELOSI was founded in 1982, when the company opened its first office in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. We offered conventional non-destructive testing (NDT) to local clients. In 1987, VELOSI became the largest inspection company in the country, when it was awarded its first inspection contract with Shell in Miri (located in the East Malaysian state of Sarawak)
1996

Agbar Automotive was born following the diversification of the Aguas de Barcelona Group into the vehicle-inspection business.

1999
Privatisation and creation of IDIADA Automotive Technology SA, belonging 80% to Applus+ and 20% to the Regional Government of Catalonia. 
2002

The company sets out its strategic position and the Applus+ brand is launched worldwide.

2003
Privatisation of LGAI with its incorporation into the Applus+ Group as a division dedicated to testing and certification. 
2004
Applus+ acquires SOLUZIONA Calidad y Medio Ambiente (Applus+ Norcontrol and Novotec), becoming Spain’s largest industrial and environmental inspection and technical assistance company. 
2006
Applus+ acquires Dutch Group Röntgen Technische Dienst (RTD), the European leader in non-destructive testing and inspection for the European oil and gas industry. Applus+ positions itself as the market leader in oil and gas industry testing.
2011
Applus+achieves a €1206M turnover accross moret han 65 countries.
 
Applus+ acquires the multinational Malaysian company VELOSI, specializing in inspection services, certification, testing and personnel recruitment for the oil and gas industry, thereby consolidating its global leadership in the sector.
 
The company acquires German firm BKW, which offers testing and materials characterisation for the Eurpean aeronautics industry.
 
Between 2002 and 2011, thanks to a steady process of internationalisation, 70% of turnover is achieved outside of Spain across five continents.
 
2014

Applus+ is listed on the Madrid stock Exchange in May 2014.

2016
Energy & Industry is born as a result of the Integration of the former Applus+RTD, Applus+ Velosi and Applus+ Norcontrol divisions.
2017
Applus+ Acquires several companies, including Inversiones Finisterre (Spain and Costa Rica), Emilab (Italy), AC6 (Spain).

Contact us

Success Stories

Applus+ Velosi Papua New Guinea Successful ISO Audit

Applus+ Velosi Papua New Guinea recently announced their successful audit by Global Certification.

Read More »
Spacer
Careers

See our job opportunities

Spacer
Applus+ Velosi

Our international presence